Sunday, August 28, 2016

Famous Last Words Week 1

So this week sure went by very quickly. I'm working two part time jobs this semester and so I don't really have much time to slow down and think. Thankfully my classes haven't been too difficult as of yet but they'll probably get much worse as things progress. I've really enjoyed getting to read other people's posts from this week - the stories and introductions were especially interesting. It was cool getting to see all the different kinds of interests people have and I especially enjoyed Kimber's pictures of her pets. It looks like it's going to be a fun semester, I think. Writing the story based on a fable was also quite a bit of fun.

I unfortunately haven't really found many parallels between my main courses in chemical engineering and this class. Laura did give me some information about the Indian god of engineering and so that was pretty cool, but alas I haven't really found much overlap as of yet. I'm sure it'll come up eventually! Maybe. Possibly. But not really. Either way, I think this class will be a fun break from the monotony of my regular courses. I get to do very fun reading on materials that I'm not really familiar with and I get to do writing which I always enjoy and rarely get to do outside of the technical format for my major.

As things start to pick up and classes really get rolling these next few weeks,I hope to be able to stay on top of the material with all my classes. Thus far, it seems like I should be able to even be a little bit ahead at all times and I hope to keep that going for the rest of the semester. I've been able to get all my homework done early enough that I can ask my professor's questions if I have any. I've one major change this semester and that has been actually reading the textbooks for my classes before we start the lectures on that chapter. It really gives me a leg ahead when we start the homework on the new material. Overall, I think this will be a pretty good semester.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff! I definitely agree that the semester is going by so quickly. I can’t believe how fast the weeks seem to be going by, but that just means Christmas break is right around the corner! (Yay Christmas!) We just have to survive a few more rounds of tests and lot of homework until then… I think that we’ll manage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeff! I agree with you and Kaitlin as well, The semester is going by incredibly quick. I can't believe that midterms will be here soon! However, I am also amazed that there is an engineering Indian God? That is so interesting! Do you have any more information on that? I feel like I am counting down the days till we have a long break though! I cannot wait to be home for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a connection between an Indian Epics class and your engineering classes might be pretty difficult! I had no idea there was a Hindu god f engineering though. That’s so cool! My major is International Studies so I am used to the constant reading and writing so this course is my cup of tea. I haven’t taken a test on anything regarding math since high school so I can imagine that a class like this is a nice little break from all the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff,
    I too have struggled to find the parallels between this class and all my other classes. That is one of the things I really like about this course though! I like how unique this course is and how it provides a sort of break from what is normal. Also, I understand your struggle of working a job while in classes.

    ReplyDelete