Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Reading Part B



This section of reading seems to take a much more narrative tone. The descriptions have grown much lighter and the story seems to move into a more narrative style. This could just be the author’s for these individual pieces’ styles though. I could defiantly take the form though and use as a more mid-story form of my pieces. I could start with a more traditional style with heavy description and matter of fact elements and then move to a more narrative style that engrosses the reader with more events and actions. This more traditional story-telling style is really clear in Bharata Returns and it’s definitely a style I would like to emulate in my own writing. It’s not as cut and dry as much of the reading has been. The pieces in general though for the first several stories in this section are all heavily driven with scene rather than description which makes the reading process much more pleasant.

The theme of brotherly love and commitment is really clear here in these pieces. Bharata has everything going for him. The throne is his if he would only take it and yet he knows it is rightfully his brother’s and so he forgoes taking it for himself and even begs his brother to return home. It’s a very powerful image – this giving up of power in the name of fraternal love. It’s definitely something I would be interested in trying to include in my writing. It is a bit weird that the sandals become the figurative ruler of the city in Rama’s place, but it’s still a very powerful image. It might be worth re-writing a modern telling using sneakers or something more modern to really show the strangeness but significance behind the actions taken.


As I’ve been reading more and more of the pieces in verse, I definitely am leaning towards writing in prose instead. While the poetic form can be attractive, I feel that this type of story lends itself better to direct narrative form of prose rather than verse. I’ll probably avoid writing verse here unless I have to. The direct narration and strong images and scenes really are far more attractive to the average reader. It could still be fun though to mess around in verse in the future. I’m not writing it off completely but I am leaning against doing it.
File:Rama strikes down Khara with an arrow.jpg
(Rama defeats Khara, wikimedia commons)



No comments:

Post a Comment