Sunday, August 21, 2016

Route 66, A favorite Place (or Road)




Route 66: 
(Old Route 66 near Amboy, Ca, Wikimedia Commons, photo by Dietmar Rabich)
I don't really have a specific favorite one place or even places. My dad and I used to go on regular road trips along route 66 either east or west during the summer and we'd visit countless places during our trip. We never really had a destination - we just set out to drive and so we did. There's countless great restaurants, museums, and sightseeing opportunities along the way. It goes through small towns, big cities, and through massive stretches of vast emptiness and beautiful landscapes. It's a fun drive if you ever are looking for a fun trip to take that's not too expensive or difficult. All you need is a car and a map. We used the Route 66 EZ guide to navigate and it worked really well for us, though we still got lost from time to time as the road isn't the easiest to navigate always (it goes through a parking lot at one point and under a single house at another). I could spend hours talking about the trip, but I guess I'll just share a few photos from my trips.

(Personal Photo from the J.M Davis Historical Gun Museum in Claremore, OK)

(Personal Photo of the famous Shoe Tree on Route 66)

(Personal Photo of long abandoned Bar along RT 66)


3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great post, Jeff! Route 66 is definitely a very distinctive Oklahoma phenomenon... and I like the idea of spontaneous exploring. I was so curious about that shoe tree that I had to click and find out more: how cool that other people have shared their pictures there... and then I found the map of shoe trees around the United States. The Internet: it's magic! Thanks for all the good stuff in this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love road trips! I'm from Georgia, so I have to drive 14 hours every year. We used to drive to New Jersey every summer when I was a kid, so I actually don't mind it! Your personal photos are really fun. I love the shoe one! I'm not.... so much into guns... but it's still a neat picture! I want to take a non-destination drive before I settle into a city this upcoming year. I have this fun idea of just driving and driving and driving without a map, and arriving wherever. Then we'll pop on the GPS to head home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff! It's really cool to hear about Route 66, especially since we have lived here for so long it is something I often take for granted. It sounds like you and your dad had a lot of fun and that this could be a pretty inexpensive trip. Next time I am planning a vacation I will have to keep this as an option!

    ReplyDelete