Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Reading Notes: Seven Secrets From the Hindu Calander Art Part D

I'm still enjoying this series quite a bit. It does get a bit dry but since this is probably the last reading assignment I have left in this class, I figured I might as well just get it done with since I already had come so far with the series. This portion focused on two videos: "Shiva's Secret Part 2" and "Devi's Secret". Personally I liked Shiva's secret a bit more. It was just a bit denser on material I felt and overall it was a more enjoyable watch. The visuals are never great though but they're not a huge component thankfully. It could still be better though.

I did like all the material that I learned about Shiva. Shiva is shown to be a destroyer - he beheads his father-in-law but he also has other roles in the Hindu religion and system. It's very interesting to me to be able to read this kind of information when I really wouldn't have been exposed to it otherwise. The main roles focused on here are the transition from destroyer to householder and this unfolds through the familial conflict between Shiva and his wife's family. Shiva doesn't understand the social order around him and thus he is trying to destroy it. Shiva the destroyer is also shown to be very mournful after he loses his wife and he sulks greatly. The other gods try to pressure him into marriage but he is too defeated.

Biblography: Seven Secrets from hindu calendar art, link

File:Lord Shiva Images - An artistic representation of Lord Shiva and the 12 Jyotirlingas associated with him.jpg
(Lord Shiva Images - An artistic representation of Lord Shiva and the 12 Jyotirlingas associated with him, wikimedia commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment