Saturday, September 3, 2016

My Feedback Thoughts

I've taken workshop-style creative writing classes at OU and so I've gotten used to both receiving and giving feedback. Like this article says, it's hard to take feedback. We don't like reading about the things we did poorly on. We all want to hear what we've done well. I think the ultimate thing to consider when both giving and receiving feedback is that the goal always be to improve whatever you're giving feedback on. Say what's good and what could be better. Don't just say whether you like it or not. If you do, that's great and let them know that, but you also want to help the other person. That's why you're giving feedback, right? So tell them what you think will help them improve. That's always worked for me and I think it's a very positive way of doing feedback. Both the person receiving feedback and the one giving the feedback are both working towards the same goal and that's when you really get great feedback. You don't want to discourage but you don't want to just give empty praise either.

Grumpy cat meme again by XXspiritwolf2000XX
(Grumpy Cat Meme, Source)

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, I like how you talked about your experience with creative writing and how it's helped you become better at receiving and giving feedback. When working with people, I agree that pointing out something positive and then giving advice for improvement is a great technique for giving feedback. It definitely is difficult to hear about something you've done wrong, but it just makes your work better (as I'm sure you know from writing and re-writing).

    ReplyDelete