Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Public Domain Mahabharata Reading Part B

I’m not sure why but the reading this time around seems much harder to follow. Like it’s either denser or maybe it’s just that we’re being constantly introduced to new characters very quickly and there’s a high amount of changeover with each new scene. It’s leading me to certainly have to read and re-read the pieces in order to get the full jist of the material and I keep having to check the Wikipedia links again and again to stay on task with who is who and why people/things are important. It’s gotten a bit dense. From just a pure writing perspective, it’s good from a more objective stylistic point of view but to a modern reader, it’s almost too historical. I definitely think I’ll take a more narrative tone and style during this week’s storytelling. While the historical style can appeal to some because it feels truer to the piece, I feel like I’ll want to take a more modern stylistic approach and that would be more in line with my writings already anyway.


Thematically, I’ve been drawn to the sort of ambivalent and more random nature that life plays with people. It comes up time and time again that the characters in these tales befall misfortune beyond their control. The beggars at the lac palace are burned to death while sleeping. It’s definitely something I want to try to emulate. I want my story this week to really play up the unpredictability of life (and this is even in a world with gods that directly interact with it). If I choose to use gods in my stories, I want to make sure that even they can fall victim to mistakes and chance. I find it very interesting how the story often portrays the gods as distinctly human in their faults. It’s very interesting.

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata Link

File:Escape of Pandavas from Fire accident.jpg
(Escape of Pandavas from Fire accident, Wikimedia commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment