Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Story: Hanuman's Fantastic Leap

Hanuman's Fantastic Leap

And so it came to pass that the band of the monkeys that had set forth to find the missing wife of Rama had reached the great sea that separated the  continent from the evil city of Lanka. Without any way to cross, it was then discussed among the monkeys how they were to cross such an immense ocean. Several monkeys joked that they could easily leap the entire distance of the ocean in a single bound, but then Hanuman (who was always boisterous and a bit foolhardy) boasted that he would leap over the entire length of the sea in one bound. The others did not take him seriously and largely ignored his comment, greatly frustrating him as they continued discussing how they were to cross the sea in more realistic ways.

As the others discussed their plans, Hanuman, dejected and upset, slunk away and attempted to assemble a catapult from the carts and equipment the monkeys had brought with them and he rolled it to the edge of the beach away from the sight of other monkeys. But when he tried to fire it, it split in half for he did not know what he was doing and so he was forced to rework his design and build it again from the scraps. This time, he was able to launch a rock a few feet but again, after several tries, it broke. He toiled tediously building and rebuilding again and again hoping to finish his task before they caught on, but each time he could still see them splash into the ocean and so he would disassemble his machine and rebuild it bigger and stronger each time. Whenever he would fire the machine, he would nervously glance in the direction where the others were still discussing their plans, afraid that they would hear him and come look for themselves what the ruckus was, but each time, no one came to see what Hanuman was up to. It was just assumed he was somewhere breaking things in retaliation for being ignored.This went on throughout the night with Hanuman finally creating an apparatus capable of launching a heavy log far out of sight beyond the edge of the horizon. Contented with himself, he broke for a quick meal, eating several bananas he found on a nearby tree. After he had finished his meal and while the others slept, Hanuman prepared himself a large tarp sewn together from the large leaves of the elephant ear plant of the forest. He planned to use the net he created in order to slow down his descent into Lanka so that he could land safely when he finally reached the other side of the great sea. He was confident that he would make it.

The following morning, the other monkeys went to the beach to see what kinds of ships they could launch from the shores, but they immediately found the giant catapult that Hanuman had built waiting for them. Hanuman himself sat in the basket holding a long stick with which he was trying to use to activate the firing mechanism and thus launch himself across the sea. The others begged Hanuman to stop what he was doing before he hurt himself, but he would not listen to them. The other monkeys rushed forward to try to steal the stick from Hanuman so that he could not fling himself to what was surely his certain doom, but instead they accidentally activated the apparatus and Hanuman was flung far into the sky, rocketing quickly beyond the horizon. The other monkeys mourned for the loss of their good friend now that he was surely dead. “What a fool he was," they said, telling one another that they did everything they could to stop Hanuman from his clearly insane path. They quickly agreed to build boats to cross the water in hopes that they might be able to recover the body of their foolish friend.

While the monkeys wailed for the death of their friend, Hanuman himself calmly soared through the air high above the water at extreme speed. He could see the fish swimming below him in the clear, blue waters and his eye was caught by a dark black spot on the ocean’s surface that continued to grow bigger and bigger below him. He watched it, curious, as it was moving right along below him matching his speed perfectly and thus Hanuman assumed this must be his shadow until suddenly, the black dot, which had by then grown extremely large in size, burst apart at the surface of the sea and now from that same spot, a large shark sped through the air towards Hanuman with its gaping maw open and gnashing. Hanuman panicked in the air and he flung his arms wildly trying to move out of the way of the shark. He shook so wildly that he almost let loose the tarp that he had tied tightly to his back with ropes. The shark did not reach Hanuman though, falling several meters short, and it fell back into the sea below with a massive splash. It did not again try to reach Hanuman but the monkey kept watching nervously waiting for such an attempt. The rest of his flight went peacefully.

As Hanuman neared Lanka, he observed thousands of towers and buildings that made up the great city. He prepared himself both mentally and physically for what was to come. He was to invade the city and save Sita all before the other monkeys even knew he was there. Then they'd finally appreciate his work. Hanuman released his great tarp to slow himself down so that he could land safely but instead he slammed into the side of a tower and died.

Bibliography: Public Domain Ramayana, Hanuman's Leap

Author's Note: I wanted to try to remove some of the explicit magical elements found in one of the stories we've read so I decided to make a more humorous and more realistic (though still pretty ridiculous) retelling of Hanuman's leap. The main change is that I simply eliminated the role of magical qualities (other than the talking monkeys). There's no super powers. There's no climbing mountains in minutes. The only absurd part is the catapult itself which at least is a real thing even if the events that happen with it are a bit far-fetched. I tried to keep up some of the absurdity and the ending really plays into that since it completely violates the original ending and would basically ruin the entire rest of the Ramayana without some heavy narrative rework. This whole story is kind of a twist on the absurdity of what's often happening in the Ramayana. The reader knows what's happening is insane and so it's puzzling when suddenly things are realistic once again. It was a fun little experiment.
I've tried to revise this story to make many aspects of this story clearer and I really tried to make the comedic elements a little more blunt. I think the story is more pleasant to read if the comedic style and tone are maintained. Originally I had wanted the piece to be more matter-of-fact but I think the story is much more pleasing to read when it's left to be a little more comic. By changing some of the more serious parts to reflect that, it makes the overall piece both more stylistically uniform and a more enjoyable read for the audience. The absurdity makes it a much stronger piece overall, I think.

File:Hanuman and Surasa.jpg
/(Hanuman and Surasa, wikimedia commons)

17 comments:

  1. Jeff, it's always entertaining to read your tales. Hahaha... The ending to this one absolutely endeared you to me. Aaandddddd, *KERSPLAT*, Hanuman died. Brilliant. I appreciate that you took the magical elements out of it, and I was pleased that you took the time to make your version of the story more interesting by not having Hanuman catapult himself away from the monkey army in the middle of the night. Instead, you explored the interaction between Hanuman about to catapult himself and the monkeys trying to stop him. This definitely made for a more entertaining and satisfying tale to read rather than the predictable "And he catapulted himself in the middle of the night with no rebuttle whatsoever...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as though your stories are going to be ones that I will want to read every single week! The ending was great! Once Hanuman escaped the shark I assumed that he would have made it safely to Lanka, but then you had him slam into the side of a tower and die! I literally laughed out loud when I read that! I think you nailed the humor in this story, and I can't wait to see what you write about next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I really enjoy the premise of this story! So much of the Ramayana revolves around the right person having the right magical powers or weapons at the right time, and it's refreshing to see that someone else feels the same way. Maybe next you could replace all of Rama's weapons with a modern-day anti-demon arsenal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really read much absurdist literature but this was absolutely fantastic! I really like the dark comedic undertones especially at the end where Hanuman just dies after being built up to succeed so much. It's definitely a very surreal feeling story what with giant catapults and sharks, but less fantastical than the Ramayana. I really like all the little details you added in about how the other monkeys paid no attention to him and how Hanuman even created a tarp to slow himself down. Exploring the Ramayana without magic seems very tricky since it's basically all magical, but I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretation! Do the rest of them have an absurdist theme too or will you change up your style? I think it would be very interesting to see a complete rewrite of the Ramayana without Hanuman in it. It would require a lot of narrative rework, definitely, but I would be really excited to see how you approach it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The ending was so unexpected. I was actually hoping that you would keep the original ending for this story, but the plot twist at the end actually more fun to read. At first, I thought, "Gosh, this is so long. I don't want to read it". But once I started to read it, I was hooked. I just continued reading and reading, but the ending was so pleasantly unexpected. I honestly can't think of any way to make this story better. I know that there could always be some room for improvement, but I cannot find a way to make this story better without losing the suspense of the ending. All I'm going to say is: very, very, very well done! And I don't think you took the magic out of the original story: you expanded the magic and made it better. Very well done! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was instantly attracted to this story purely based on the one sentence preview so I would say you did a fantastic job in luring the read to your story. I really enjoyed the subject matter you chose for this story because it happens to be one of my favorite situations in the epic. It was smart of you to include the ridiculous nature of the original as a monkey-man growing to a incredible size to pass through a large body of water is outrageous. I thought you did an excellent job with the details surrounding the realism in the actions taking place. The ending made me a bit sad but I also understand that twist ending are essential in these renditions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must be weird because I actually thought the abruptness of the ending was the funniest part. It was like pulling the rug out from underneath Hanuman, and the reader. I liked it. Being critical is always rough, so I'm not sure what to say. I like reading longer things, but a couple of the comments mention the length. I don't know what you could cut or revise, because it seems to all fit to me, but maybe there's something. One idea I have is inserting another character, like a bear or an eagle. The point of the character would be to be the 'straight-man' for Hanuman's craziness. Like the eagle is flying over head and giving him grief about how crazy the idea is. The same kind of idea would be to have the shark talk, or turn him into a giant talking squid. Have him snatch something Hanuman shoots, and make Hanuman afraid. Then have him taunt Hanuman the whole time. That way when he does make it over it feels like a two-fold victory. It would make the ending even more surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did a great job retelling Hanuman’s flight to Lanka with new twists and turns (not all for the good in Hanuman’s case). However, I can’t really appreciate some of the absurdity. For instance, none of the other monkeys heard what Hanuman was doing and turned to look? That could make for some more interesting dialogue, which I think would be a great addition to the story. I thought how Hanuman died at the end is much more realistic than from the Ramayana, because there’s no way a monkey can jump thousands of feet and survive! I also liked that you had a shark try to jump out of the water to eat Hanuman. I liked the picture you chose because it highlights the tumultuous nature of the original story as well as how it fits into your own take on it. I feel bad for Hanuman because I liked him throughout the Ramayana, but your story was a lot of fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your portfolio was my third and my free choice. I chose it because as I was reading through the stories and writing my reading notes I had always thought it would be fin to rewrite the stories in a comical way. So much could go wrong or there could be so many ways to screw over the characters in the epics! When I saw that you may have actually done that, I got very excited. Reading through your first story I see you did in fact do a glorious job of capturing all the ironic hilarity that could have happened in the process to cross a humongous ocean. The whole time reading this story I just felt sorry for Hanuman! But I also laughed so hard my roommate had to come in and check on me. You did an excellent job of writing this story! It flows so well from sentence to sentence, it was quite enjoyable to read. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a really nice portfolio so far! It's quite unique in the sense of the nature of the content. I was pulled into your stories immediately. The titles are attention grabbing in a very subtle way, and then the endings of the stories are so abrupt, but successful! There is something so casual about your writing while still succeeding to communicate an effective story. Like I loved the line, "Several monkeys joked that they could easily leap the entire distance of the ocean in a single bound, but then Hanuman (who was always boisterous and a bit foolhardy) boasted that he would leap over the entire length of the sea in one bound. The others did not take him seriously and largely ignored his comment, greatly frustrating him as they continued discussing how they were to cross the sea in more realistic ways." The end of your story was just brilliant. I'm really enjoying these, I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I loved reading this story. We always hear about how Hanuman did so many amazing things but always with his powers. You never hear about anyone else doing anything out of the ordinary without having any special powers so this story was a really nice change. The catapult was a good idea, but it was still very scary to do. You have no idea what could happen to you once you are launched yet he still did it which showed bravery on his part. I also like how all of the other monkey just assume that he is dead and they actually start looking for his body. This story was very refreshing to read and I look forward to your other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This story was wild from start to finish. Somehow I was expecting a happy ending in which he may actually make it to Lanka and continue wreaking the havoc he's famous for so I don't really know how to feel about such an anticlimactic ending as "he slammed into a building and died." It does complete this ridiculous comedy of errors, though, and like you said in your author's note that switch back from something over the top and ridiculous to a sudden element of realism was jarring but also memorable. I think you really nailed your storybook concept, as far as retelling the same stories without the use of magic and making them both humorous and completely wacky. Thanks for a fun read, and I look forward to seeing what other stories you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having read your introduction to this story, I spent a good part of it wondering, “What does he mean, absurdist? So far, it seems more down-to-earth than the original story.”
    Then I got to the ending, and had to go right back up and read it again. What a laugh! I love some of the comedic images you include, like the scene of The Great Hanuman futilely trying to trip the catapult switch with a stick, and a whole horde of rationally-minded and well-intentioned monkeys bumbling into it on accident. I like how you separate out fantasy (a big element of the original tales) from reality right at the start: all the sensible monkeys try to think up “more realistic” solutions, while Hanuman sneaks off to try something crazy. I think you might modify this sentence to show the contrast a little more clearly:
    “,…but then Hanuman (who was always boisterous and a bit foolhardy) boasted that he would leap over the entire length of the sea in one bound” -->...; Hanuman, however, began to boast that he actually WOULD leap over the entire ocean in one bound.

    By using “ocean” for both and using the more emphatic “actually would”, you can make it clearer that they’re both talking about the same thing, but that Hanuman takes it too far.
    Last thought: What about a more graphic description for Hanuman’s death? I like the suddenness of it, but it might be even more jarring with some bones crunching or something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your summary sentences in the blog introduction. This story caught my eye there and I knew I wanted to read it. It was definitely entertaining and wild from the start of the story to the finish. I really like how you always make the stories comical, even if you are not intending to. I feel like it would be difficult to portray a comical story in an effective way. I was not expecting the ending at all. Most stories have the happy endings but Hanuman dying was not what I expected. I like how you modernized it and made a shark jump out of the water to get him. I think you did a really great job of retelling the story with some twists and turns included. I feel bad for Hanuman but I really enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed reading about the dynamic between Hanuman and the other monkeys. It’s easy to see him being considered somewhat of a fool or a dunce by the other monkeys. He may be strong, but lifting a mountain and carrying it when he couldn’t find the magical plants seems a really bad way to heal all of the soldiers. I wonder what kind of ridicule Hanuman would have received after that.
    I think it’s interesting that you took out the magical elements of the original story. These are central to the original epic, so it’s interesting to see how the lack of magic would affect the characters and the story in general. Hanuman isn’t quite so lucky in your story. In this way, he’s a lot like Icarus flying too close to the sun. In your story, however, Hanuman puts too much stock in his own abilities and doesn’t consider the possibility of, well, dying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great addition to your portfolio! I think you did a great job having fun with the original scene. I really like the tone that you use. You mentioned in your authors note that you were going for a comic vibe, but what I liked was how subtle the comedy was. While I was reading, I wasn’t sure if Hanuman was going to make it or not! I was so curious how it would end. Near the end, I was just so sure he was going to be eaten by the shark. Then the monkeys would never find him! But once he survived the shark, I was just positive that he was going to make it!! I love that you calmed the tone at the end, making it seem pretty clear that the danger was over and Hanuman had made it safe….and then in the last ten words you throw all of that out the window. I had to read the sentence again because it shocked me so much! So then, it made me laugh. This was a creative story with some great twists! I think you did a great job. It was fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete