Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Story: The Mechanical Monster

The Mechanical Monster

In that twelfth year, when the Pandava brethren were to finally return home from their long and arduous exile, they were beset by one of the greatest challenges they would face yet. And so it happened that a white deer had stolen the kindling of a well known Brahmin and this Brahmin had begged the Pandavas to aid him and finally Yudhishthira acquiesced and promised their aid. And so they had gone forth into the forest to hunt the deer, but no matter how hard the Pandavas tried and no matter how carefully their traps were hidden or how true their aim was, they failed to capture the beast. In their exhaustion, they rested in the middle of great forest under a leafy canopy that blocked out almost all light from the sun. One of them by the name of Nakula climbed a tree to look for a water source so that they could drink and continue their quest. Spotting a clear, blue lake, he quickly descended the tree and sprinted to the water but he was stopped by a giant metal monster that came in front of him and shouted, “You must answer my question before you can drink.” Nakula did not listen though and attempted to drink from the lake and the great mechanical beast rolled forward and with long, rope-like arms so fast they could not be seen, he snatched up Nakula and then was gone in a puff of smoke.
            One after the other, those that had journeyed forth to find the deer came to the pond and they were confronted by the great mechanical beast who demanded that each one answer his questions. Never did they listen though and soon four brothers had been snatched away by the great monster. Finally,  Yudhishthira came forth and the beast spoke to him. “You must answer my question before you shall drink.”
            “Speak then, but first I must ask you, why do you do this? I have seen you take the others and I know what you plan to do to me as well if I do not humor you,” Yudhishthira said.
            “Don't ask me silly questions
I won't play silly games
I'm just a simple choo choo train
And I'll always be the same.
I only want to race along
Beneath the bright blue sky
And be a happy choo choo train
Until the day I die.”
“I do not understand you, great beast,” Yudhishthira said.
“It does not matter,” the beast said. “There is a thing that nothing is, and yet it has a name. It's sometimes tall and sometimes short, joins our talks, joins our sport, and plays at every game.”
“It is a shadow,” Yudhishthira said.
“Right. Now you ask me one,” the beast said.
“But you said if I answered your question, you would leave me be. If I answer your questions, will you free my brothers?”
“Your brothers are dead and so soon you shall be too. Ask me a riddle or I shall end you.”
“Fine. What's better than all the gods and worse than Old Man Splitfoot. Dead people eat it always; live people who eat it die slowly?”
“Nothing, of course,” the beast said quickly as if it wasn't even a challenge. “Today he is there to trip you up and he will torture you tomorrow. Yet he is also there to ease the pain, when you are lost in grief and sorrow.”
“Alcohol,” Yudhishthira said. "You hear it speak, for it has a hard tongue. But it cannot breathe, for it has not a lung. What is it?"
"A bell," the beast said.
 And so it went on in this order with one giving a riddle and another answering it immediately with neither one having to think for even a moment about what the answer was. This continued for several days and nights with the two never stopping and never stumping the other. Finally, a little boy wandered into the verbal struggle and by the beast noticed him immediately. It rolled up to him and it demanded “Tell me a riddle, child!” The child was not at all frightened though and then asked the beast, “Why did the chicken cross the road?” And the beast was silent. It did not know the answer to this question. It thought hard and from deep inside its metal body, a great grinding sound split the air. Then it went completely silent for a several minutes.
            “I don’t know. What?” the beast said.
            “To get to the other side!” And the beast roared and prepared to harm the child, but in the time that it was distracted by the child, Yudhishthira  pulled off the wheels of the beast and he found his brothers stored in a cage in the back part of the beast's body. The beast was unable to move and howled loudly as it had been beaten. The brothers drank from the water and went from that place in peace.

Author's note: I originally had wanted to keep this piece in the historical setting but very quickly had a good idea that involved riddles from one of my favorite book series out there: The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. This specific idea is taken from The Wastelands. I took the train from those books and I used him as the one asking the riddles instead of the original character in this story. For those that don't know, the train is a big fan of riddles in the story and becomes a major antagonist by asking them so it made sense to me to put him in a piece like this. It was a fun little blend to write and it probably would have been fun to make it a bit longer, but for a class like this, It's better to just leave the piece shorter and maybe write another addition later related to this instead. Ultimately, I felt that having the train asking riddles fit the story really well because both the original source material in the Mahabharata and the piece by Stephen King have difficult challenges for their respective protagonists involving riddles. The riddles also help to draw the reader in because they're are always fun to read  and that definitely gives the reader some intrigue so they aren't just bored with the story. In my revisions, I actually left most of the content the same and decided to focus most of my changes on the little details of the piece. I added more descriptions, more colors and visuals so that the reader can better center themselves in the piece. I intentionally left the train vague still because it makes the build up much better for the reader. 

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata, link,    The Wastelands By Stephen King


File:God yama statue.JPG
(God yama statue, wikimedia commons)

10 comments:

  1. I like how you used the story but just changed it up a little bit. I could actually picture your story in my head, like a movie playing. It was really good, and interesting. I think that if you had included more details visually,it would have helped some more. I also loved your joke about the chicken crossing road, that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this story is hilarious! I've never read the Dark Tower series but now I really want to check it out if it's even remotely like this. Are all of the riddles from the series? I also really love how the monster was beaten by a little kid's joke and not by any of Yudhishthira's riddles. Also just an FYI I think you're missing a word in this sentence: "And so it happened, that a white deer the kindling of a well known Brahmin."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you incorporated another book into the plot for your story, especially one as different from the epics we read as a Stephen King novel. This was one of the stories that I really enjoyed reading in the Mahabharata and so I really appreciate the added detail. It gives the story an added sense of depth. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These riddles cracked me up! I LOVE King, and I picked up that vibe pretty quickly, and then your author's note confirmed it for me. This was a lovely story--- I wondered about the beast. If you decided to revise this story, might I suggest adding some visual detail about said monster? Monsters are always a fun thing to visually create because you've got endless options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was awesome Jeff! I really love the use of the riddles. You are right, riddles definitely help draw in the reader and help them keep their interest. I was trying to solve the riddles while reading through the story! I also love that the child is the one who stumped the beast with a riddle, not the protagonist. Why did the chicken cross the road is always a classic! Once again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an incredible well written story! It flowed very nicely and was very easy to follow. I could not find any major errors at all. One minor thing I noticed is when the beast said “I don’t know, what?”, did you mean to say “why” instead of “what”?
    I love that you created you own riddles to change up this scene! I can imagine that took a lot of creativity. You did a great job with it. I thought it was humorous that such a simple riddle from our culture (why did the chicken cross the road) was the riddle that stumped the beast! That was a great touch.
    Visually, I noticed that some of your paragraphs were indented and others weren’t. Some paragraphs had spaces in between then and others different. I think that spacing makes it more visually appealing, but that is just my personal preference! Whatever you choose to do, just make sure it is consistent throughout the story and it will look great.
    Overall, this was a very well written piece. I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm back! I like the revisions to the story a lot! The first time I read through I am ashamed to admit that I actually did not realize the "beast" was a train, but this time it was a lot clearer, so I appreciate that. I really liked how you kept the train vague though because it was very fun to hear how they would describe the parts of a train. I also really like the dialogue and action. All of it seemed semi-historical (except for the train, of course) but also understandable. The longer Author's Note was also very helpful as well. I really appreciated the extra background knowledge about the source behind the riddles and train because I'm not very familiar with Stephen King's work. Overall, this story is just as hilarious as it was before and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to your other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story was really weird but interesting at the same time. I like the idea of the animals actually engaging in antics against such revered people as the brahmin. The Mahabharata shows that good people can fight against each other and this story shows that not every animal will simply become a servant for the heroes of the epic. Here, they actually have to struggle against the animal.
    In terms of corrections, I would suggest setting off the beast's riddle from the rest of the text. Since it's more of a recited poem than just a line of text, it would be easier to see this if it was separated. Right now, it's kind of confusing. There's another way to format it by putting quotes only at the beginning of each line and at the very end of the riddle, but this probably would look weird. Overall, I think this is a really interesting story. I'd like to read more absurdist stories such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the more interesting stories from the Mahabharata so I'm thrilled to see you write about it! I agree that the riddles are a fun way to draw in the audience, and you picked some really good ones. This type of scene is seen in so many types of literature. Particularly, Bilbo Baggins and Gollum came to my mind. If you are wanting more riddles, that scene in the hobbit would be a good source. I did notice one typo while I was reading. One of the riddles say:
    "What's better than all the gods and worse than Old Man Splitfoot. Dead people eat it always; live people who eat it die slowly?”
    I think you just got your punctuation mixed up here since the first is the question and the latter is the statement. Everything else is great! Did you take the child idea from the Stephen King novel or make it up yourself? It's the funniest, most unexpected ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your story was very interesting and kept me intrigued the entire time. Your personal riddles really brought my attention and tied the story together. I like how your story was easy to follow. You took a good story and made it interesting and you made it your own. I will definitely look forward to reading more of your work. I didn't find any major mistakes, the story seemed well thought out and written really well. Your unique twist on the original story made it more interesting to read and a lot more enjoyable. The uniqueness you were able to bring out was amazing because I haven’t read a lot of stuff that grabbed my attention like yours did. I really hope I get to read more throughout this semester and will be looking forward to it. Please keep writing especially with this much creativity and uniqueness. Again, can’t wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete