Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Reading Notes Week 10: Pattanaik's Secret Secrets of Vishnu: Part B (Matsya)

So I've continued to watch this series on the seven secrets of Vishnu and I have to say it's been pretty enjoyable so far. It's well done, has good production value for what it is, and is extremely informational. I have to echo again just how nice it is to actually get the little details of the history pieces after watching the short Epifed pieces I watched in the past. This is really a breath of fresh air because it actually gives you everything you could ever want to know and more. I love it. I've always been really into history and wanting to know more about something when I heard something. Wikipedia has always been a great resource for that kind of background information but often I find myself digging deeper and deeper into wikipedia and I end up with the philosophy problem - you know the idea that if you spend enough time clicking random links in wikipedia, you'll end up on the page for philosophy. But back to the main material. This day's material covered the secret: "Only humans can empathize and exploit". The material feels very religious in nature - it's that kind of "man is superior to all other beings" kind of thing but is interesting how it is manifested in these pieces for today. The basic idea is that humans are the most superior creature because they have a larger brain and it's postulated that this is modeled in Hinduism with a mark of vishnu on the forehead. The idea is that it's to show that the human brain is something unique in nature. Overall, it was a very enjoyable watch and I think I learned quite a bit from it.

Bibliography: Pattanaik's Secret Secrets of Vishnu: Part B (Matsya) link

File:Matsya avatar.jpg
(Matsya image, wikimedia commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment