Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes Week 11: Seven Secrets of Vishnu Part C

So I have decided to continue on with the series The Seven Secrets of Vishnu. Today I watched the videos for part C and was still really intrigued by the material. I found it all very interesting though I still have one major concern with the format. They name-drop in these videos so freaking much that I can never really follow along without having to pause every few seconds and these aren't simple names either - often it's very major new characters being introduced and they're just breezed over as if the viewer is already supposed to know what's going on. It's almost like this is made mostly for people who already know what's being talked about or are at least familiar with the material. I recognize some of the names of people, places, and things that are mentioned but so many of them just breeze by that I'm left feeling out of the loop if I don't pause very often.
Outside of that main concern, I still like this series. You do have to pause often on your own to make sure you understand what's going on and Wikipedia is very important with that but it's doable. It's nice that this material exist even if it isn't done in the most ideal format for an outsider like me. It's still an enjoyable and educational watch.

Bibliography: Seven secrets of Vishnu, link

File:Kurma deva.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your note, Jeff, and I know exactly what you mean: I did notes for the Calendar videos, and I didn't do them for the Vishnu videos, but I really should do that. I'll see if I can find time for that this weekend! THanks for the reminder, and I am glad you like his videos. Pattanaik wrote some books that we have in Bizzell too; his Jaya book about the Mahabharata is really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete