Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Storytelling: The Bumbling God

The Bumbling God


And so it had been prophesied that the great king Kamsa would be laid low by the eighth child of his sister. Fearful of this prophecy, the great king had his sister and her husband imprisoned and each time she would bear a child, he would come into the room, take it from her and her husband, and kill it by smashing it against the cell wall. This continued many times over many years with his sister mourning in agony each time her child was taken from her.
            Finally, the time came when her eighth child was to be born. It was late at night and Kamsa was sleeping in his bed while the child came into the world. When the child was born, his mother and father looked him over and were forlorn for he was deformed and frail. His skin was fragile and tore easily, one of his legs was longer than the other, and his eyes were filled with thick clouds. They mourned for their poor child and his frailness. His mother named him Krishna.
            In the morning, Kamsa was informed by his men that the eighth child (the one that he had been warned of) had been born and so he went into the cell to finally kill this child and thus give himself immortality, but what he found did not frighten him. Instead, he was humored by what he found. “This child will never harm me. This child could never harm anyone except by accident perhaps. It will be lucky to survive a month on its own, It is sickly to look at. It poses no threat to me or anyone” he said and left laughing, feeling that the prophecy must have been wrong. There was no way such a weak and deformed child was going to pose any threat to him.
            After several days passed, Kamsa decided to free his sister and her husband, letting them return to their homes. “You pose no threat to me anymore” he said, sending them away from his palace with nothing but the clothes they wore. They wandered for most of the day, crossing a great bridge to reach a small village on the other side. There, they stopped and rested for the night.
            That very night, though, Kamsa had a nightmare that a great horror had befallen him and ended his life. He woke up terrified and called his soldiers, sending them forth into the nearby villages to slaughter the children that lived there. The child had to die. He had made a mistake. And so his soldiers went forth, killing hundreds of babies, but they did not go far enough to reach the village where the baby Krishna was hidden. It was too late and he had slipped through the king's mighty grasp.
            Kamsa felt tentatively safe, assuming the child had been found and killed, but he was never certain and for many months, he slept nervously, afraid of what he didn’t know. He had always known to trust the prophecies and he cursed himself for not simply killing the child when he had had the chance to do so. Now, there was no way to be certain if the child was still alive. He ordered his soldiers to search for his sister and her husband, but no matter how hard they looked, they could not find the couple or the child. Kamsa was left in a state of constant worry, unsure of what to do in order to try to save his life. He summoned mercenaries and demons alike and offered them great wealth if they could find his sister and her husband and slay the child that was with them. They all accepted and spread out across the countryside to hunt down the child.



Authors note: So I tried something new with this. I decided to write a story that’s going to be a part of a series. I will continue this story for the next few weeks. The idea here is that Krishna will grow up through the stories and survive constant deadly trials purely out of luck. He will be a bit of a bumbling and sickly idiot who is somehow saved through pure luck. The story isn't really laced with humor which I had originally intended. In fact, it's kind of dark and it's an interesting take on the constant role of divinity in these tales. I decided to turn it all on its head and have an important character who is only saved through constant luck. Krishna in this tale isn't powerful or imposing to look at. In this story, he's frail and sickly and it's a wonder he hasn't died of natural causes on his own yet let alone died from the people and things intentionally out to get him. This kind of fits in with the other absurd pieces I've put in my portfolio and I've been adding another chapter to this story every week since I wrote this piece so stay tuned and check out the future pieces.


Bibliography: Epified Krishna, link

File:Krishna's great escape Bazaar art,1940's.jpg
(Krishna's great escape, wikimedia commons)

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea for the story!! I like that the king didn't feel a threat by the child but is continuously haunted by his arrogant decision. I'm interested in your idea to do a series. I guess I'll have to come back next week to keep reading cause I really enjoyed this first story! Great job and I can't wait for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story kept to the original plot, which made it a great and easy read. I love how the details provided allowed me to imagine the imprisonment of the sister and her husband in my head. Keep up the detailistic descriptions. I found very free errors in the post, which allowed me to understand the story without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much suspense built up at the end of the story! I am very excited to continue reading this series of stories and see what happens. The detail you began with when discussing how Kamsa kills his sisters children was so real, it was very disturbing. I think it's funny how he overlooked a sick, fragile child and this will most likely end up being his demise...unless you decide to have a huge plot twist. I'm looking forward to continue reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this parallel with the Mahabharata. In some ways, your adaptation seems much more dramatic and heart-wrenching than the original.
    I'd suggest a few things: In the first sentence, "8th" should be changed to "eighth." The word "eighth" is always used through the rest of the story. The lines of dialogue should become their own paragraphs. It makes it easier for the reader to follow what's being said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this is such a great idea! I love the concept of a series, and I'll be reading all 3 that you've created so far, this evening! I haven't seen the epified videos or dug much into Krishna's life, so your Author's Note wasn't quite clear enough for me about the original source story... Was Krishna really born deformed? Was he the 8th child of his parents then escaped death narrowly? A bit more details about the original story would be helpful and a nice comparison to what you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a well written story! I think you did a great job! Gramatically, I only saw a couple of flaws:

    Pragraph two: comma needed
    "The king, Kamsa, was resting in his bed while the child came into the world."

    Paragraph three: word confusion with "In the morning, Kamsa was informed by his men that the eighth child had been born and so he went into the cell..." I got confused with the "and so". Is there a way to rewrite that?

    I loved reading this story! Im reading Krishna's story this week so it was cool to get to enjoy this story by actually understanding what's going on. I always thought it was so sad that the parents had to give up their son, so I like this version where he gets to stay with him parents but he's still protected. In your author's note, you said you're going to do kind of like a series? I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the idea to do a building story is a great idea! The arc is really strong and there is a really great, suspenseful build up to the climax of this specific post. The attention to detail is so descriptive that I didn't even have to do much of the imagination work. I'm interested to see how true to the story you stay as you continue to work on this series! The errors I would have addressed have already been noted by Shifa, so I'll end this here. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jeff! I think that this piece works really well to be further developed as a series, or if you decide to just leave it by itself. I think that you did a good job introducing a lot of the details from the original story with new twists and turns. I think that it was a great idea to give Krishna sort of frail features to fool Kamsa into a sense of security with his life. Having a new nightmare reawaken his fear in the prophesy really works because it shows how much Kamsa was influenced by the appearance of Krishna. I look forward to reading more of these stories! I also liked the image at the end because it gave a better sense of the original image of Krishna.

    ReplyDelete